Tuesday, April 24, 2012

FLORENCE STILL

Awoke this morning to the sound of very large quantities of water falling from the sky. Thankfully, it only lasted until I was about due to head out to the city. One thing that cheered me up was the huge money saving breakfast I had in the hostel before I left. Although it cost 4 Euro it was plenty enough to sustain me until the evening.
I suppose the first impressive place I encountered, completely by surprise, was Piazza della Signoria. I had seen pictures of the statues before but the setting of these master pieces didn't seem quite right. Maybe the square looked somewhat scruffy, or was it my imagination? 
The detail on the Greek style statues leaves nothing to the imagination and most were pretty brutal in their subject matter. 
In the video it is obvious that Piazza della Signoria is certainly on the tour groups list. 
One of the other must see structures is Ponte Vecchio, the bridge with buildings, now shops covering it. It was strange walking across it because it appears to be just another narrow market street. 

While I was near the bridge, someone was doing a report about the bridge, and Florence, with small camera crew. He looked like he might be quite well known. Does anyone recognize him?
Thats about all concerning the Ponte Vecchio but it has not been spared the scurge of the love locks. 




Finally, I took a trip on a local bus up to the hills that lie above the city. Great views which really show how much the cathedral dominates the centre of the city.
The surrounding buildings a many storeys high but even so seem like bungalows.
Cheers D


No comments:

Post a Comment